Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I just spent the most delightful morning with a group of great women at the Dixie Quilt Guild's February Workshop. Bev Lewis was kind enough to spend the morning instructing a bunch of us on how to put together a "Fabulous Fractured" quilt from Brenda Essinger's book by the same title.

It was so fun to see how everyone's quilt block was turning out. I am just sorry I did not have a camera so I could show you some of the completed blocks. Below is a picture of the fabric I used before I fractured it and pictures of the fabric after it was fractured. I did learn some good lessons this morning when using this technique. The first lesson is to NOT use fabric with animals as my birds ended up being on top of each other doing things I am not sure I want them doing on my quilt!!!

Also, I learned that the size of the individual squares (2" x 2", 1.5" x 1.5", etc.) will make or break the final appearance when using this quilt technique. Next time, if I was to use a smaller print like the one I used, I would probably make my individual squares 1.5" x 1.5" (unfinished) instead of the 2" x 2" (unfinished) size that I used. I think the smaller size squares may have created a more fractured look.







Thank you, Bev for a really fun morning and for the opportunity to learn a new quilting technique. I have friends who tell me quilters belong to a cult!! I laugh everytime I hear that and tell them, that may be true but I LOVE it!!!

No comments: