Friday, March 2, 2012

William Morris in Applique

Some of my very most favorite fabrics are William Morris reproductions.  A great source of these fabrics are designed by Barbara Brackman and in her newest collection, Morris and Company, you can really get a feel for the beauty of William Morris' designs.

One of my clients told me about a wonderful book called "William Morris in Applique" by Michelle Hill  and so of course I had to get one of my own!!


In her book, Michelle has provided a history of William Morris and his work.  Her style of applique is fusible applique using either machine-stitching or hand-stitching. The book includes general instructions including threads, fabrics, cutting, transferring and fusible applique.  There is also a section on stitches and techniques.

Of the many wonderful projects in the book, the one I would like to tackle some day is called Tudor Rose ~


It is a pillow, so it is not quite so intimidating as a full quilt, but still glorious in all it's William Morris-style spendor.  Has anyone created a work of art from this collection of projects?

5 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Those look like nice patterns to do, and something beautiful for the bed.

Debbie

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

That is gorgeous, and the book sounds like it's full of helpful tips.

LuAnn said...

Well......I have the book but have never made anything from it. I guess maybe after the photo you showed I need to get the book back off the shelf and take another look at it.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I have this book and love it too!

Nancy said...

How exquisite. Definitely on the must buy list!