Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saturday's Smile was posted last Tuesday, So . . .

I decided I wanted to show you what I have been up to, besides working a real job 3 days a week, for the past few weeks!!

First, I have had the amazing opportunity to teach some young college students from South Korea and the Dominican Repulblic how to quilt.  These young folks came to Utah State University for an English emersion class every morning and then in the afternoon, my neighbor, Becky, taught them about entrepreneurship, service to others, and charity work.  She asked me to talk with them one afternoon at the beginning of their class about the things I do.  They all fell in love with my basement and quilting!!


When I asked them, all 5 said they wanted to make a quilt.  This is Callie and she got her top done before she went home.  We got it quilted and she did the binding while flying home.  I am waiting for each of the kids to send me a picture of them with their finished quilts.  Now, most of these kids had never even used a sewing machine, so we really started them from scratch.

Ray, the young man from the Dominican Republic did a fantastc job, as did all the girls, and he worked on his binding during the plane trip home as well!!  Also, Ray created the following video for their final night together and we put it on YouTube  ~



These kids were more than amazing!!  I sooooooooooo enjoyed working with them!!  Ok, kids, you need to send me pictures so I can include you in this post!!

Then the other thing I have been working on is this darling baby quilt for my friend to give to her God Nephew.  The baby's room theme was whales and blue and white, so I found a great whale batik and while working on the quilt found that just blue and white was not enough.  So, here is my quilt story~  the whales (you can see them better if you click on the picture) are swimming around blowing the blue bubbles.  The white, with the blue meandering, is the foam that that whales produce as they are swimming around and diving deep for their krill in that green gunk at the bottom of the ocean.  The outside blue border is the ocean.  Think the kid will fall for that story when he is old enough??  :-))




This was a fun quilt to make but as I was walking over to Barb's house this afternoon, I looked down at the label and saw that the weight was wrong on the label!!  Yiks!!  I used a template from the last quilt I made for Barb and got the name and date changed but forgot the change the weight!!  Oh, well, guess what I will be doing for slow stitchin' Sunday tomorrow?

Thanks for stopping by!!

4 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a great video!! OOps, a simple little mistake that is very fixable.

Createology said...

What a wonderful experience to share your love of fabrics and quilting with others. I love that quilt top Callie made. Creative Stitching Bliss...

elliek said...

Loved the video and the sewing ... wow that 9 patch looked good. I too put a label on a baby quilt yesterday and put 2013, ooops it's now 2014! Luckily I managed to save it.So are you the one on the right of the pic or the left(as I am looking at my screen????)

Janet O. said...

I think it is so cool that you taught these young people to quilt, Kris. Brought a smile to my Saturday!