Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I'd Like to Introduce Joy . . .

the creator of this magnifient piece of quilt art.


I met Joy a couple of years ago right here on my blog.  If I recall, she left a comment and after I responded to her comment, we became friends.  Here is a bit about her in her own words and how she came about making this beautiful chair ~

We started with a rag doll project and it was only the beginning for me. Through my high school years I sewed mostly clothes until my roommate in college introduced me quilting. But in terms of designing, my path changed when I participated in a round robin project in 2007. This forced me to get out of my comfort zone in color and pattern. It was so difficult breaking old habits but painfully liberating at the same time.
My grandmother taught my sister and me how to sew when we were 10 and 14 years old. 
I got the idea of doing the chair from one of the quilting magazines. It featured an article of a woman who took old chairs and recovered them with quilting designs. She would focus her design on a theme, one was Asian, and another was a starry night. I found it very interesting. I had mentioned the idea to a coworker. Years later, when his family was emptying his grandmother's house, he called me and asked if I would like this old chair for my project. And off I went............
I started with muslin and made a template, draping/ fitting the fabric over sections of the chair. Arms, back, sides, seat, etc. Then designed each piece separately.
I think the hardest part is thinking 3 D. The balance of color is skewed, it is not flat like a quilt or a wall hanging. It was hard to envision the placement of color. And most importantly, after it is upholstered you cannot change your mind and rip it out. It is done.
Valerie Reynolds did the quilting and Louise did the upholstery.


So, please meet Joy ~


And all the pictures of her incredible chair ~












Have any of you ever tried anything like Joy's chair??

5 comments:

Janet O. said...

Wow! Simply gorgeous.
Never have tried anything like it and surely never will!

Nancy said...

What a piece of art. I hope she doesn’t let anyone sit in it.

InGa said...

Yes, I also say wow !! What a project!
Never ever thought of doing something like this.... but i do have an old chair, that I'm planning to redo..... Hmm....
but, no, too difficult.....
I think...

elliek said...

That looks amazing. Joy is one clever lady.

Pat said...

Ooh! I love it! I've never tried such a project but I'd like to. Simply beautiful!